#020 I SWEAR I DIDN'T DRINK MUM


I went to a party, Mum, I remembered what you said,
You told me not to drink, Mum, so I drank soda instead,
I felt really proud inside, Mum, the way you said I would,
I didn’t drink and drive, Mum, even though others said I should.
I know I did the right thing, Mum, I knew you’re always right,
Now the party is finally ending, Mum, as everyone drives out of sight,
As I got into my car, Mum, I know I’ll get home in one piece,
Because of the way you raised me, Mum, as responsible and sweet.
I started to drive away, Mum, but as I pulled onto the road
The other car didn’t see me, Mum, and it hit me like a load.
As I lie here on the pavement, Mum, I hear the policeman say
The other guy is drunk, Mum, and I’m the one who’ll pay.
I’m lying here dying, Mum, I wish you’d get here soon,
How come this happened to me, Mum, my life burst like a balloon?
There is blood all around me, Mum, most of it is mine,
I hear the paramedic say, Mum, I’ll be dead in a short time.
I just wanted to tell you, Mum, I swear I didn’t drink,
It was the others, Mum, the others didn’t think.
He didn’t know where he was going, Mum, he was probably at the same party as I,
The only difference is, Mom, he drank and I will die.
Why do people drink, Mom? It can ruin your whole life.
I’m feeling sharp pains now, Mom, pains just like a knife.
The guy who hit me is walking, Mom, I don’t think it’s fair,
I'm lying here dying, Mom, while all he can do is stare.
Tell my brothers not to cry, Mom, tell Daddy to be brave,
And when I get to heaven, Mom, write “Daddy’s Girl” on my grave.
Someone should have told him, Mom, not to drink and drive,
If only they had talked to him, Mom, I would still be alive.
My breath is getting shorter, Mom, I’m becoming very scared,
Please don’t cry for me, Mom, because when I needed you, you were
always there.
I have one last question, Mom, before I say good-bye,
I didn’t ever drink, Mom, so why am I to die?
This is the end, Mom, I wish I could look you in the eye,
To say these final words, Mom, I love you and good-bye.


Comments

  1. It's a heartbreaking sotry, I can't imagine the pain that her mother is feeling! But this story teach us that we can drive very well or be very careful but there are others that don't care about people's life.
    I think the law should be more severe in order to decrese the average of this accidents.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow When I used to ride a motorbike, I was about to die many times because people driving taxis, kombis and even lorries were the worst drivers on the road, I don't want to sound as a chauvinist man but sometimes women, too. Now, I drive my car and believe me it is still the same, though I feel safer now.

      Delete
  2. Well.. the story is actually very sad ..many times life circumstances are unfair ..and the young woman had to pay for someone else's mistake. She was responsible, but unfortunately, she had to go through the worst.. even to death :( We should definitely be very careful when driving, because unfortunately there are people who don't think about others and think they own the tracks of the city .. so be careful when driving..! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a mystery why things like this happen, only God knows, in my humble opinion we should try to be careful all the time, we do not know when we shall die, but till that day we have to be in peace not only with ourselves but also with everybody, especially the ones we love.

      Delete
  3. This story is such a sad and real one. In our society, we see accidents every day because of irresponsible drivers who don't think about the people's safety, and a lot of people suffer the consequences of their irresponsibility. Personally, this story has reminded me all the times my mother asks me to take care of myself when I go out with my friends, and I think that there is nothing to worry about, but unfortunately, in these cases, our security depends more on the actions of others than on ourselves.
    Maria Paula Romero
    F12- San Miguel 6pm

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am in agreement with what you say, as I said before nowadays whenever I drive my car, I have to be really careful about other drivers and pedestrians, too. It is something we don't mind, I mean people are disrespectful, they think the road is theirs. They swear, scream or look at you trying to start a fight. We must be really patient and aware.

      Delete
  4. Well, for me the story is really sad but it is a real life case because all the time we can see how people die because they drink and drive. Nowadays young people don't understand the dangers of doing this kind of thing because they think they are invincible and end up hurting themselves or others. This particular case is really unfair because the girl hadn't taken anything and still died in the accident leaving her family with a big pain, so it's important to learn to value the lives of others and ours.
    Daniela Cruz Morales
    INTERMEDIO 7 SABATINO

    ReplyDelete
  5. This story has a message, you have to think about the consequences of your acts. To drink alcohol and to drive can have fatal consequences. It is not necessary to drink very much, since it is thought commonly, in order that the misfortune crosses in the way. In these days the young people don't care about others persons even they don't care if his acts could make a big problems. In my opinion the parents should inform to their children about the alcoholic drinks and monitoring them to avoid irreversible changes
    Diana Gamarra
    Intermediate 3
    Mon-Wed-Fri San Miguel

    ReplyDelete
  6. The little story's very interesting and at the same time it's a sad reality, avoid drinking when driving is important if you want to protect your wellbeing but still don't get out of danger, we should be attentive to everything because not all people follow the rules and there're people who drive drunk, not only putting pedestrians or other drivers in danger, also their own lives.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally, I consider this story has made me think about drinking alcohol excessively, many times we think that everything will be fine and that nothing can happen to us, but that is not true, every act has its consequences. We must not trust, around us there are different types of people and these can cause us to an accident as shown in the reading. I think there should be more responsible and aware people to take their actions. Life is not bought.
    Keila Choy

    ReplyDelete
  8. NATHALY FLORES CARBAJAL17 July 2019 at 19:55

    I am very shocked with the story, it is true, all human beings pay the consequences, other people's mistakes, while we suffer and disappear, for those people it will only be a stage of their life, we do not know if their repentance is momentary or it will last, But if I'm sure something is that nobody should suffer for other problems, if we talk about alcohol, all teens take, but we must be responsible in doing so not to cause problems or unreasonable errors.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#002 THE MAN, HIS WIFE, THE DONKEY AND THE CRITICS

#004 WHAT IS IT LIKE TO LIVE HERE?

#043 THE WOODEN BOWL