#016 REAL LOVE


It was a busy morning, about 8:30, when an elderly gentleman in
his 80’s arrived to have stitches removed from his thumb. 


He said he was in a hurry as he had an appointment at 9:00 am.
I took his vital signs and had him take a seat.
I saw him looking at his watch and decided, since I was not busy
with another patient, I would evaluate his wound.
On exam, it was well healed, so I talked to one of the doctors,
got the needed supplies to remove his sutures and redress his wound.
While taking care of his wound, I asked him if he had another
doctor’s appointment this morning, as he was in such a hurry.
The gentleman told me no, that he needed to go to the nursing
home to eat breakfast with his wife.
I inquired as to her health. He told me that she had been there
for a while and that she was a victim of Alzheimer’s Disease.
As we talked, I asked if she would be upset if he was a bit late. He
replied that she no longer knew who he was, that she had not
recognized him in five years now.
I was surprised, and asked him, “And you still go every morning,
Even though she doesn’t know who you are?”
He smiled as he patted my hand and said, “She doesn’t know me, but I
still know who she is.”




I had to hold back tears as he left, I had goose bumps on my arm,
And thought, “That is the kind of love I want in my life.”
True love is neither physical, nor romantic.
True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and
will not be.
With all the jokes and fun that are in e-mails, sometimes there
is one that comes along that has an important message.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of
everything; they just make the best of everything they have.


Comments

  1. Nice story! Love is not only physical, at least for me, that's not true love. To love someone you must be willing to accept everything from that person, their defects, virtues, as the story says, "True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be". I strongly believe in that theory...I really like the phrase of the picture, because I agree that love is about making the other person's world more beautiful.. however, it's necessary that this feeling must be mutual in order to create a successful relationship :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely, we must admit that appeal takes outer and inner beauty, yet external beauty easily deteriorates and should not be trusted at all, inner beauty is the one that lasts more than a lifetime. :)

      Delete
  2. I like the story, I think real love not disappear, in the story said "she doesn't know me,but I still know who she is", that's the point real love is not about love someone in the good moments, is about love that person in all situation, is stay with that person when he or she doesn't see anyone. Is about make her world beautiful when she only see the dark. That's the point of real love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm positive about what you said, Love is more than a feeling, thanks for your comment whoever you are...

      Delete
  3. Real Love is a Nice story! "True love is an acceptance of all that is, has been, will be, and will not be" love is not valued by words, but by the facts and perseverance in a relationship. Love can overcome barriers and problems different that no one else can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rite, Love can do everything, different problems are no obstacle for real love, even when is hard to find, once you do it what is hard is to keep it alive through different circumstances but when is real, nothing can put its flame out.

      Delete
  4. I liked the story. True love has no boundaries, if you really love a person, you have to accept it with the defects and virtues. make her see that the person doesn’t need to change anything, that she is perfect just as she is. Love doesn’t try to say beautiful things, it is demonstrated by facts, which leave an imprint in your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Giuliana Nancay Cadillo25 October 2018 at 21:21

    This story make me understand about the great love that two people can feel despite the years and adversities. as says, true love is an acceptance of everything that is, has been and will be. It does not depend on others, but on oneself.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This review makes us reflect about the true meaning of love. In life, not everything is happiness, all people have difficult moments that can rarely be overcome by being alone. Sharing those complicated moments with the person you really love reflects the level of affection and respect that you can come to feel for the other person. Because the true love surpasses any circumstance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The history is very beautiful. Love is not only petting, flowers, chocolates and another similar things. It can be complicated and painful. It depends how you see it but love exist. Love yourself and love your family are pure love. Similar as the oldman, sometimes love can be as simple as just loving that person as it is. Love is love.

    ReplyDelete
  8. To be honest, in my opinion this story is really inspiring, we speak of the truth, of acceptance to wards another person, many do not do it but there are many people who dispise or alienate those people who are not just psichologically or physically, such as not having a leg, an arm, an eye, not being able to talk, etc, but in see away from them we should approach us, accept and love them as they are.

    ReplyDelete
  9. to be honest, in my opinion this story is really inspiring, we speak of the truth, of acceptance to wards another person, many do not do it but there are many people who dispise or alienate those people who are not just psichologically, etc. I accepted with all and defects a very dear person for me, I had lost my leg, but he did not accept it, he asked me to leave it, but nobody left his side, we accepted him as he was before my eyes he was perfect , but he went away where none of us could go, that's how he died, that's why he appreciates all people, love them with all their being.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#002 THE MAN, HIS WIFE, THE DONKEY AND THE CRITICS

#004 WHAT IS IT LIKE TO LIVE HERE?

#043 THE WOODEN BOWL