#035 PARENT'S WISH



To my dear child:

On the day when you see me old, weak and weary,
Have patience and try to understand me.
If I get dirty when eating, If I can not dress on my own,
Please bear with me and remember the times I spent feeding you and dressing you up.
If, when I speak to you, I repeat the same things over and over again, Do not interrupt me. Listen to me. When you were small, I had to read to you the same story a thousand and one times until you went to sleep.
When I do not want to have a shower, Neither shame nor scold me. Remember when I had to chase you with your thousand excuses to get you to the shower?
When you see my ignorance of new technologies,
Help me navigate my way through those world wide webs. 
I taught you how to do so many things, To eat the right foods, to dress appropriately, To fight for your rights.
When at some moment I lose the memory Or the thread of our conversation, Let me have the necessary time to remember. And if I can not, do not become nervous,
As the most important thing is not our conversation,
But surely to be with you and to have you listening to me.
If ever I do not feel like eating, do not force me.
I know well when I need to and when not to eat.
When my tired legs give way and do not allow me to walk without a cane. Lend me your hand. The same way I did when you tried your first faltering steps.
And when someday I say to you, That I do not want to live any more, that I want to die, Do not get angry. Some day you will understand.
Try to understand that my age is not just lived but survived.
Some day you will realize that, despite my mistakes, I always wanted the best for you and I tried to prepare the way for you.
You must not feel sad, angry nor ashamed for having me near you.
Instead, try to understand me and help me like I did when you were young.
Help me to walk. Help me to live the rest of my life with love and dignity.
I will pay you with a smile and by the immense love I have always had for you in my heart.
I love you, child.

Your parent



Comments

  1. This story made me cry! But in fact, it's very beautiful plus it's full of feelings. It made me wonder how my parents will look like and how they will be as elderly people. Well, I know about parents who have given everything to their children when they were young. But when the parents were old, their children forgot about them, even the adult sons and daughters went on a trip and they left alone their parents. Personally, these kinds of stories make me very sad because for me, my parents are the most important people in my life and under no circumstance I'll stop loving them with all my strength. Everytime I see my parents smiling, I thank God for giving me the opportunity to spend another day with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. * In the fourth line , It should be added that when they traveled, they didn't keep in touch with their parents, they've never visited or called them again and this was the sad thing about that situation.

      Delete
    2. You value your parents and that is something stupendous for you can see a real treasure which many people do not. What is more, we have to transmit this feeling to them, I hope you tell them how much you love them.

      Delete
    3. Fourth line? No worries, it's okay :)

      Delete
  2. Parents have been taking care of us all our lives, now that they may or may not be old they want of us the same, we take care of them and we give them all the possible love, just as they did from the first moment,tohave them patience as they Had with us one is not born knowing, grows learning and as time passes that knowledge can go away so we have to help them and always take care of them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely Goospith, as the video we watched, we don't have to forget how patient they were with us and remind them about the good times we shared together. They won't be with us forever is something that we take lightly.

      Delete
  3. I have to say is too sad for me. I'm very sensitive. This texto contein a good advice ' you have to give back love with actions as patient, un this case. This remmenber me that is less important the problems than to receive and send love. The family is always first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The piece of advice is simple, remember all they did for you. I wonder why people are so forgetful, in fact How forgetful we are!!! Our family is unique, love them and be respectful!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. ..
    Parents have the most important job in the world and we are where we are thanks to them
    They become into chefs, doctors , spiritual guides, friends and much more without earn a penny and just because they love us.
    I believe that parents love is the purest form of love God has created and they deserve to receive even more than what they gave us, even if they are not good parents as it seems to be who wrote the letter. I always argue with my mother for many different reasons , sometimes it is her fault but I admit that sometimes it is also mine ,but what I know for sure is that no matter what happen my love and gratitude will always still the same.

    P.S. . I like your blog (not for points lol)

    Nicole Bohórquez

    ReplyDelete
  6. This reflection has made me think about the relationship with my parents and the behavior that i have towards them.
    The message that leaves is very deep and when you analyze it well, you can realize the reality in many families and that our parents just want us to give back that they gave us and continue to do it.
    To be honest, this reflection almost made me cry because it reminded of my childhood and made me think of a future without my parents and maybe i have not valued them enough.
    I can only thank my parents for everything they teach me.
    Good reflection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#002 THE MAN, HIS WIFE, THE DONKEY AND THE CRITICS

#004 WHAT IS IT LIKE TO LIVE HERE?

#043 THE WOODEN BOWL