#044 NOCTURNAL TO ROSARIO (POEM) - BY MANUEL ACUÑA



Well then! I need to tell you I adore you,
To tell you that I love you with all of my heart;
That it is greatly I suffer, that it is greatly I weep,
That I can no longer do so, and in the cry that I implore you
I implore you and I speak to you in the name of my last hope.
I want you to know that for so many days now
I have been sick and pallid from so many sleepless nights;
That I have seen the death of all my dear hopes;
That all my nights are black, so very black and gloomy,
That I no longer know where the dawn may rise.
At night, when I lay my temples heavily upon the pillow
And to another world I wish that my spirit may return,
I walk ever on and on, and at the journey’s end
The outline of my mother fades into oblivion,
And once again I see you in my soul appear.
I understand your kisses will never belong to me;
I know that in your eyes I will never see myself;
And I love you, and in my ravings so fervent and demented
I bless your derision, adore your evasion,
And rather than love you less, I only love you more.
Sometimes I wish to say goodbye to you forever,
Erase you from my memories and drown you in my passion;
But if all this is in vain and my soul does not forget you,
What do you want me to do, oh, weight upon my life;
What do you want me to do with this heavy heart!
And once your holy shrine was finished once and for all,
Your lamplight set a-burning, your veil upon the altar,
The morning sun a-shining there behind the steeple,
The torches there a-flickering the censer full and smoking
And out there in the distance the open door to the hearth…
How beautiful it would have been! to live under that roof,
The two of us joined forever and loving one another;
You always in love, I always fulfilled, the two a single soul,
The two a single breast, and there in our midst my mother as a God!
Just imagine the beauty of the hours of that life!
How very sweet the journey through such a lovely land!
And I have dreamed of this, my promised holy one.
And turning my shaken soul to such a wild delusion,
I have thought of being good for you, only for you.
God knows well that it was my most beautiful dream,
My ambition and my hope, my joy and my pleasure;
God knows that my resolve was set on nothing else,
Except to love you dearly by the cheerful hearth
That enveloped me in kisses when it saw me born!
That was my one hope… but now against its brilliance
Is set the deep abyss that lies between us two,
Farewell for the last time, love of all my loves;
Light of all my shadows, scent of all my flowers;
Farewell, my poet’s lyre, my youthfulness, farewell!




Comments

  1. Some people can't believe in love. Maybe because they just don't believe or maybe they've had bad experiences about love. But, the people who really love, love with their heart and soul. those people dream with the hope to find a love like a fairy tale. However, when they don't fin the love, their worlds fall, their hearts are broken and maybe their lifes ends. I think, the love is really beautiful, but you should use the reason to have a life with a healthy love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear psychologist you are right, however when we really love is very difficult to do it conciously cus' we tend to do things for our heart is in love and wants to demonstrate it, even cold people do it in a different way. This beautiful poem, which is one of my favourites, was written by Manuel Acuña, a Mexican poet who kill himself :( sad story because Rosario was a married woman. We shouldn't do that, no way! but we must help people who are in this situation 'cus perhaps someday we could be in a similar situation, as you said people think their lives end but it is not like that! Life continues and it goes on for us need to be strong and learn. :)

      Delete
  2. When reading the poem I realize that it is a farewell to someone who is going to kill for love. It is difficult to believe that one because the beloved woman does not correspond and nevertheless continues to happen in our days. He liked the writing because he manages to express what he is feeling with the right words and manages to transmit what the poem reads, although it also seems that the person who wrote it was very much in love, obsessed and desperate. This poem seems to be written with desperation for wanting to have his beloved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The poem is beautiful, but I wonder if it was real love or not, I mean true love is not obsessive, not impels you to attempt against your life. Do you imagine if he had taken his love to a point where he respected her and himself as well? What would have happened?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#002 THE MAN, HIS WIFE, THE DONKEY AND THE CRITICS

#004 WHAT IS IT LIKE TO LIVE HERE?

#043 THE WOODEN BOWL