#053 THE WEIGHT OF THE GLASS


Once upon a time a psychology professor walked around on a stage while teaching stress management principles to an auditorium filled with students.  As she raised a glass of water, everyone expected they’d be asked the typical “glass half empty or glass half full” question.  Instead, with a smile on her face, the professor asked, “How heavy is this glass of water I’m holding?”

Resultado de imagen para the weight of the glass
Students shouted out answers ranging from eight ounces to a couple pounds.
She replied, “From my perspective, the absolute weight of this glass doesn’t matter.  It all depends on how long I hold it.  If I hold it for a minute or two, it’s fairly light.  If I hold it for an hour straight, its weight might make my arm ache a little.  If I hold it for a day straight, my arm will likely cramp up and feel completely numb and paralyzed, forcing me to drop the glass to the floor.  In each case, the weight of the glass doesn’t change, but the longer I hold it, the heavier it feels to me.”
As the class shook their heads in agreement, she continued, “Your stresses and worries in life are very much like this glass of water.  Think about them for a while and nothing happens.  Think about them a bit longer and you begin to ache a little.  Think about them all day long, and you will feel completely numb and paralyzed – incapable of doing anything else until you drop them.”

Resultado de imagen para throw a glass of water
The moral:  It’s important to remember to let go of your stresses and worries.  No matter what happens during the day, as early in the evening as you can, put all your burdens down.  Don’t carry them through the night and into the next day with you.  If you still feel the weight of yesterday’s stress, it’s a strong sign that it’s time to put the glass down. 





Now, imagine how many people have held the past upon their arms and for how long... Don't let it happen to you, break free from it! The past almost always destroys relationships when it lacks of communication! Be wiser :)




Comments

  1. Wow, That's true! Many times we spend our time thinking about mistakes or past events. It is as if we'll carry a big invisible bag every day behind our backs, with all our worries and fears, which only generates stress and desperation. It is horrible to live with this, day after day, because it kills you slowly. And it is for example, as one can fall into depression, for living with the horrible things of the past, which ends up paralyzing you and shortening your breathing.
    Beautiful reflection!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely, I'm positive about what you said cus' it used to happen to me, now thanks to God, I can control most of it, however It is something that happens to everybody without exception in some point of our lives we have felt regret but what is worse it is the fact that living thinking about it constantly, make us sick. Everything happens for a reason, we must learn from every single mistake instead of blaming on someone or ourselves.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, I’m Dafne
    This is so true. In the past, when I had some problems that had no importance, I was still giving it turns and turns, worrying and stressing me about things that had no importance. Also, I stopped doing somethings that I liked because before I had done some mistakes that had a small relation with my dreams. Now, I know that I need to left my past and used my errors like guides for my present and future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dafne, nice words I mean leaving your past is one of the best decisions a person can take cus they won't let you live a normal lifestyle, so you will be worried about it and it can make you feel depressed or what is worse make you take terrible decision. People should think carefully about how to overcome problems and forgive themselves for any mistake they made before.

      Delete
  4. Sol Bustamante Chavez21 February 2019 at 20:31

    One of my favorite posts lately...
    First, In this modern world we have some more challenges than others from 60's, for example, the constant research for quality of life and the increase for buying goods make some people feel streesed and uncomfortably for their lives 'cause they want to have it all, this glass called the increasing one is one of the most important.
    On life, we have to know us for know when is the moment to put our glasses down; carring it for much time could become more people more immoral and disloyal to their lifes. As far as I'm concern this is one of the reasons why corruption exist.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

#002 THE MAN, HIS WIFE, THE DONKEY AND THE CRITICS

#004 WHAT IS IT LIKE TO LIVE HERE?

#043 THE WOODEN BOWL